The Brittany Belles Questers' project, The Jenkins Homestead and Historical Research Center, Landsdale, PA
We are the Questers chapter # 949 Butterfield Trails from Bella Vista, Arkansas. We are standing in front of the Kindley House located in Gravette, Arkansas. This house, which was built in 1904, contains the Gravette Historical Museum and is on the National Historic Register. It is the primary project of our chapter to provide period furnishings for the home and to help in restoring the grounds.
Jeanne Stokebrand - International First Vice President, Joan LoCasale - International President, Norma Hand - Arizona - Ho-Ho-Kams #622, Ginger Robbins - International Third Vice President, stand in front of a1920's tuberculosis sanitarium cabin, Cave Creek, AZ. during a 2010 Arizona convention tour.
Thank you Cave Creek Museum for deciding "This Place Matters" in the preservation of our nations historical buildings.
The Corron Farm Hired Man's House
The Charlemagne on the Fox chapter of the Questers organization purchased a stove from the early 1880’s to contribute towards the restoration of the Corron Farm Hired Man’s House.
Lincoln-Tallman House project.
This is the fourth grant received by Monterey Questers over the past several years for major projects at the Lincoln-Tallman House. Past renovations include the conservation of “Gussie” Tallman’s bedroom suite and the house’s first floor exterior doors.
Frank Phillips, an ambitious barber-turned-bond salesman from Creston, Iowa, visited Bartlesville in 1903 to assess business possibilities in the oil fields. He returned permanently two years later with his wife, Jane, and young son, John. After a series of failures that nearly bankrupted him, he hit a string of eighty-one straight successful oil wells. By 1909, he had completed construction of the Frank Phillips home. Until his death in 1950, the home was an entertainment center for family, friends and the entire community. The home is a 26-room Neo-Classical mansion which contains original furnishings and accessories, including a varied, well-documented, quite sizable art collection. In 1973, the home was deeded to the Oklahoma Historical Society by the Phillips' granddaughter, Betty Irwin. It was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1975.
Nellie Johnstone #927 adopted the Frank Phillips home as a P&R project in 2009.
Plum Grove #948 has adopted its name from the historic site located in Iowa City, Iowa that was the home of the first territorial governor of Iowa Robert Lucas and of his wife Friendly. It was purchased in 1844 in Friendly's name. Sitting in a grove of plum trees the house and acreage is now owned by the State of Iowa and is a open to the public from May to October. The Colonial Dames help in the furnishing and maintainence of the home. The Plum Grove questers have donated many things to the improvement of the home including helping in the upkeep of the heritage garden. It is a place that matters and is recognized as the "Mount Vernon of Iowa".
The ladies pictured in front the Goshen Police Booth are the members of Goshen Questers Chapter #315. Through their efforts and donation of $2,500 the cracked, discolored and unattractive windows in the Police Booth have been replaced. A matching grant through Indiana Questers was obtained by this chapter.
The Goshen Historical Society, which has been given charge of the Police Booth, is in the process of making repairs to the roof, brick structure and the interior. Electrical infrastructure, a new door and other restoration is part of the plan to again open the Police Booth to the public for special programs.
A number of members of the Goshen Historical Society are also members of the Quester group. Previously the Questers contributed to the restoration of the safe in the Goshen Museum.
The Goshen Historical Society owe the Questers a huge "Thank You" for their contribution to the restoration of the historic Goshen Police Booth.
This photo was taken at the Wapello County Historical Museum, Ottumwa, IA. Rippling Waters Chapter #1161, Ottumwa, IA members are shown holding the sign "This Place Matters".
The Museum is home of the Wapello County Historical Society
and houses artifacts and exhibits pertinent to the history of Wapello County.
Some chapter members are members and board members of the Wapello County Historical Society.
The museum shares office space with the Wapello County Geneology Society, and serves as passenger terminal for Amtrak and Trailways Bus.
The museum building was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 2008.
Springfield Mills at the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania (www.morrisarboretum.org) is an historic place that matters to the Fairwold Chapter of the Questers International Organization. Fairwold Questers, an eastern Montgomery County chapter, celebrated completion of the window restoration for the mill, a project supported by Questers. Included on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Morris Arboretum, the mill is a rare survivor of the Philadelphia region's rich milling heritage. It features original nineteenth century machinery and is being restored by the Arboretum with the support of many volunteers.
Shoal Creek Questers #1263 - Shoal Creek Living History Museum.
ShoaIt’s been a wonderful relationship over the years with the Shoal Creek Questers #1363 and the historic Shoal Creek Living History Museum.
Built in 1922, the Ice House Museum is one of only 2 in the country to tell the story of natural ice harvesting in an actual ice house. Owned by the Cedar Falls Historical Society since the 1970s, every effort has been made to preserve and restore the building. Flooded and damaged in 2008, the floors have since been raised, and exhibits are being redesigned and rebuilt.
Yesterday's Heritage Questers #809 received a Questers State P&R grant in 2009 to restore an ice box and a school bench which will be part of the new exhibits.
Name of Historic Site: Gordon Hall Milk House – Dexter Michigan
Name of Quester Chapter: Anns’ Arbor Chapter No. 307
Why the Place Matters: Gordon Hall was the home of Judge Samuel Dexter for whom the village of Dexter is named. The Dexter Historical Society is restoring the home. The Anns’ Arbor Questers has restored the Milk House to its original condition with the help of Eagle Scout Corey Balen. The Questers provided funds for materials and are now purchasing and collecting appropriate items for the Milk House.
Members of the Earl of Craven Chapter of Questers International gathered in Cedar Grove Cemetery recently to review their preservation work there. The group has raised and invested more than $40,000 in preservation projects in the cemetery over the past dozen years. Recent work was underwritten by a grant from Questers International.
The chapter offers tours of the cemetery every Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. from April through November.
The Loretto Hill Questers chapter in New Ulm Minnesota hosted the Minnesota State day at the Historic Turner Halle in New Ulm. Proceeds from our state day silent auction went to a mural restoration project in the building. Turner Halle is listed on the National Historic Register.